Monday 12 September 2011

Silent Diplomacy

Letter 3,64 - to Theodore, physician. August, 593

" For he [the emperor] has decreed that nobody should be allowed to become a monk who has had a public occupation (..). If our most serene Lordship did this because perhaps many soldiers were becoming monks and the army was decreasing, did almighty God subjugate the empire of Peria to him through the courage of his soldiers at all? was it not that his tears alone were heard, and by that order which our Lordship knew not, God subjected the Persian empire to his empire? It seems very harsh to me that he prohibits his soldiers from the service of God, who has provided him with everything, and who allowed him to be ruler not only of troops but of priests also.
If his intention is to save property, how were those same monasteries, which had taken in the soldiers, unable to pay off their debts, and keep the men just simply for a religious way of life?
I have suggested to the same Lordship that this greatly upsets me. But would your Glory offer my suggestion to him privately, at an opportune moment? I do not want it to be given by my emissary in public, because you who serve him as a friend can say more openly and freely what is the good of his soul."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 285.

No comments:

Post a Comment