Monday 12 September 2011

Friendship

Letter 3,65 - to Theotimis, physician. August 593

"There were some ancient philosophers who said that there was one soul in two bodies, not joining the two with love, but dividing the single substance of the soul into two. But we say by contrast that we have one soul, not by dividing the substance, but by joining hearts. For it was written about those first Christians: "there was in them one heart and one soul." I read this in the Acts of the Apostles in such a way that I recognize it in the case of Lord Theotimus and me.
For he is such a kindred spirit, that when present in body he never lets me down, and when absent in body, he is always made present through the spirit.
And I offer thanks to almighty Lord, who fills the innermost parts of our mind with the grace of his love."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 286.

No comments:

Post a Comment