Thursday 8 September 2011

The Richness Of Scripture

Letter 3,62 - to Domitian, metropolitan. August 593

"For in the understanding of Holy Scripture, whatever is not opposed to a firm faith ought not to be rejected. For just as from gold alone, some men make necklaces, others rings and others bracelets, as ornaments, even so from a knowledge of Holy Scripture, various expounders through countless interpretations, compose varied ornaments, as it were, all of which, however, are for the adornment of a heavenly bride.
And I am extremely happy that your most charming Beatitude, even when busy with secular cases, vigilantly turn you mind back to the understanding of Holy Scripture. For indeed it is very necessary that, even if the former cannot be avoided altogether, the latter should not be postponed altogether.
But I beg you by our almighty Lord, stretch forth your hand of prayer to me, as I labor in such great waves of tribulation. Thus I may be raised by your intercession to the heights, as I am being pressed down to the depths by the weight of my sins."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 282.

No comments:

Post a Comment