Thursday 27 May 2010

A Letter to a Friend

Letter 1,25 - to Anastasius, ex-patriarch of Antioch. February, 591.

"(Thus) losing totally all the rectitude of my mind and giving up the sharpness of my contemplation, I may say not in spirit of a prophesy but through experience: 'I have been cast down and humiliated everywhere' (Ps. 118:107).
Indeed so great are the occupational burdens which press me down, that my soul cannot in any way raise itself to things above. I am shaken by many waves of affairs, and after these quiet hours of peace, I am so afflicted by the storms of a tempestuous life that I can rightly say: 'I have come into the depth of the sea; and a tempest has overwhelmed me' (Ps. 68:2).
Stretch out the hand of your prayer to me, therefore, in my time of peril, you who stand firm on the shore of virtues."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 147.

No comments:

Post a Comment