Sunday 16 May 2010

The Burden of Office

Letter 1,20 - to Natalis, bishop of Salona. January 591.

"(R)eason was advising us to rejoice with you over your rank as bishop. For that reason, made more joyful because of your greeting, we describe our feelings, admitting that I have taken on the burdens of this same office with a heavy heart. But because I was not able to fight against divine decrees, I have by necessity recalled my mind to a happier state.
For which reason, we beseech your Reverence with the words of this letter that we ourselves may enjoy the solace of your prayer, as does the Christian flock committed to our care, so that we can thereby overcome the storms of these times with the firmness of your support."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 133.

No comments:

Post a Comment