Monday 31 May 2010

A Friend to a Friend

Letter 1,27 - to Sebastian, bishop of Resini. February 591.

"I spurn my negligence and I awaken my torpor with incitements of love, so that he who is unwilling on his part to pay his dues, he may learn to pay back what he owes on pain of being spurned.
Furthermore I inform you that I have made a suggestion before the most pious of princes, filled with most earnest prayer, that he ought to send over the ex-patriarch Lord Anastasius, a most blessed gentleman, allowed the use of the pallium, to the Church of Saint Peter, the prince of the apostles, to celebrate the solemn rites of the Mass with me, so that, if he were not allowed to return to his own see, he might at least live with me, his honor intact.
But the bearer of this letter will notify you what reason stopped me from sending that same letter to you. However, get to know the thoughts of this same Lord Anastasius, and indicate to me in your letter what would please him concerning this matter."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 149.

No comments:

Post a Comment