Thursday 22 March 2012

Put Things Right

Quote from Letter 5,5 to Sabinian, deacon in Contantinople. September 594.

But I myself sent letters to him [the apostate Maximus], after I found out that he had been consecrated contrary to reason and contrary to what was customary, telling him not to presume to celebrate solemn Mass, until I first found out from my most serene Lordship what order he had given about his person.
When my letters were read out in public and posted in the city, he had them publicly torn up, and openly stood out with his contempt for the apostolic see.
You know how I would put up with this, I who before was ready to die rather than have the Church of Saint Peter degenerate in my time. You are well aware of my character, knowing that I would put up with things for a long time, but once I have decided not to put up with things, I am happy to meet all dangers. It is necessary, therefore, for one to face danger with the help of God, so that one is not forced to sin through excess.

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), II: 326

No comments:

Post a Comment