Tuesday 6 March 2012

Pilgrims with the Body and in the Heart

Quote from Letter 4,44 to Rusticiana, patrician. August 594.

On receiving your Excellency's letter, I was glad to hear how you had reached Mount Sinai. Believe me, I too should have gone with you, but by no means to have returned with you. And yet, it is extremely difficult for me to believe that you have visited holy places, and have seen many Fathers. For, I believe that if you had seen them, you could not have returned to the city of Constantinopel so quickly. Rather, as the love of such a fine city by no means left your heart, I suspect that your Excellency paid little attention in your heart to the sacred things that you experienced with your body.
But, may almighty God illuminate your mind with the grace of his piety, and grant you wisdom, and let you know how transient all temporal things are For, while we are saying this, time flies and the Judge is approaching.

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I:322

No comments:

Post a Comment