Monday 23 December 2013

Allegory


Quote from Letter 9.13 to Venantius, a patrician from Palermo. October 598

I have received the writings of your most beloved Excellency, in which I rejoiced as much in the conversation of an absent friend, as I desire that he who has spoken should always be present with me too.
However, you want me to provide an allegorical interpretation of the deeds of Sampson. But such great bodily weakness has come upon me that, even if some ideas should occur to me, my mind would not rise to follow them up.
Even so, I rejoice in your worthy desire. For in looking for an explanation of holy words, you show how closely you are seeking the author of those words.











Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), II, 554

No comments:

Post a Comment