Tuesday 25 June 2013

Heart-felt Letters

Quote from Letter 7,8 to Bishop Stephen. October 596

The heart-felt letters of your Holiness have spoken words of love to me, so that through your pen, your mind has crossed over in the letters, just, as if your mind itself was talking to me on its own.
Wherefore I offer thanks to almighty God, because although we are divided in body, residing far from each other, yet the love between us remains undivided. And indeed you have shown great favor to me, and more that I ought to hear, for I am unworthy.
And it is written: 'call no man happy as long as he lives' (Sir 11:28). But, although I was unworthy to hear such things, I ask that I may be made worthy through your prayers, so that, if you have said good things about me because they are not so, let them be so because you have said them.




Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), II, 462

No comments:

Post a Comment