Friday 7 September 2012

A Moral Appeal

Quote from Letter 5,15 to John, bishop of Ravenna. November 594

Reflect, therefore, on all of these things about which I have already spoken, my very dear brother. Pay attention to the day of your calling, consider what account you will give for the burden of your episcopate. Correct that behavior of a notary. See what is fitting for the tongue, and for the acts of bishops. Be totally pure with your brethren. Do not say one thing and have another in your heart, and do not seek to appear more than you are, so that you can really be more than you appear to be. Believe me, when I came to this position, I deliberated so carefully and felt such affection for your Fraternity, that if you have been willing to preserve that same affection of mine, you would never have found such a brother again, loving you so sincerely and agreeing with you in all devotion.
But learning of your words and behavior, I must confess that I recoiled. I ask you therefore by almighty God, correct all those things that I have put before you, especially the vice of duplicity. Allow me to love you, and both for the present and for the life to come, it will be to your advantage that your brethren love you.
But reply to this not with words for me, but with your behavior.


Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, translated by John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMPS, 2004), II, 332

No comments:

Post a Comment