Tuesday 9 August 2011

Praise

Letter 3,47 - to Bishop Columbus. July 593

"I congratulate you and praise God our Creator especially, who does not deny the gifts of his mercy to his humble servants. For this reason I truly confess that your Fraternity has so inspired me to love you with the flame of charity, and that my spirit has been so united with yours, that I both long to see you, and yet in your absence I shall always think of you in my heart. For the union of minds in love can certainly show more honor than bodily presence. Furthermore with all my mind, with all my heart and with all my soul, I know that you adhere even now to the apostolic see, and are devoted to it, and before your letter gave witness of this devotion, I knew it full well."

Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 265.

No comments:

Post a Comment