Monday 14 February 2011

Concerning A Diploma

Letter 2,49 - to Deacon Honoratus about honoring Venantius. September 591-August 592.

"My son Lord Venantius, one-time grandson of the patrician Opilio, has come to Saint Peter the apostle, to make this very strong petition to me, that I should have recommended his case to your Beloved. For he has no honors and seeks the diploma of ex consul, for which he has sent over thirty pounds of gold. so that it might be obtained for him.
In this matter I want your Beloved to take very special care, because he is such a man that an honor is owed to him even without a payment.
And because as I have said he was prepared to purchase the same diploma, it is not all that necessary that should say anything to our most serene emperor. But let your Beloved act more on your own, so that he deserves to receive honors, after offering the usual payments to the treasury."


Cited from: The Letters of Gregory the Great, trans. John R.C. Martyn (Toronto: PIMS, 2004), I: 228.

No comments:

Post a Comment